Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hanna's Birthday



So few and far between. I've been doing things, I swear. Just nothing to write home about I guess.

My sister is going back to school and needs a good tote bag. I decided I could push the limits of my sewing knowledge far enough to create something decent. I spent 3 full days hunched over my sewing machine with nothing but determination.



I saw this fabric at Joann's and in the words of Bella Swan, "About three things i was absolutely positive. First, this fabric would give the tote bag that funky punch I was looking for. Second, it was on 50% sale that day only. And third, i was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with it."

So basically I had no patten that I followed and messed up so many times that I don't feel comfortable explaining the process yet. I can list the supplies and give some words of advise:

2 yards of heavy cloth like duck cloth
1 yard lighter fabric used for liner and lid decoration
1 yard quilt padding
1 yard medium flex fusible interfacing
1 buckle
3 yards nylon strap- 2", 1", whatever
1 packet of adjustable thingies for straps
1 packet of hook thingies for straps
Mega Heavy duty machine needles, no all-purpose needles need apply.

Tip: Anything sewn on (lid decoration, pockets, buckle, strap hooks, etc must be planned out and affixed before putting together the inner and outer layers.



I also found a use for those amazing 1960's Good Houskeeping gardening encyclopedias. Greeting cards! My sister lives so far away so maybe this will force her to write me a little note.


0 comments:

Post a Comment